Honestly, there are not too many Saturdays I rally and get up before the sun to get in the woods, but today was one of them. I am working far away right now, so time to hunt after work is pretty much eliminated. This situation makes me desperate to find time in the woods, thus the 5:30 am wake-up and out to get set up.
A couple of things always seem strange about the morning. The first is that one would expect it to warm right up when the sun finally begins to paint the tops of the trees and slowly washes down their trunks. But this is not the case, usually, dawn brings a sharp cooling in the air. Until the sun actually gets high enough to hit you with its rays, it can be downright freezing. I spent four hours on stand this morning and didn't see a deer. Squirrels and even some unknown songbirds were out in force, but no deer.
The second is that I always like to be out, once I am there. But I have to talk myself into getting up that early and making it happen. Sometimes hunting is actually a lot like work and I go out when I know I should, not just when I feel like it.
I do know this; every single time I force myself to stop being lazy, gear up and go outside, I am always glad I did.
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment