I managed to find a couple hours to fish this morning down here on Cape Cod. Amber is at the spa for her birthday. It is overcast and the wind is whipping something fierce down the canal. But a chance to fish, is a chance to fish, and that is no chance I ever pass up.
I started out with my surfcasting equipment, but the current just ripped my lure down current and it didn’t seem like this was going to be very effective. So I pulled my line and went back to the car. I needed one more layer and some gloves. As it so happened, Amber had a nice pair of neoprene flip-top gloves in the car and those worked perfectly.
There is a spot along the canal where the intake and discharge for the power plant protrude into the canal a bit. I have had success here in the past. This little bit of structure is a good spot for fish to get out of the current and schools of baitfish duck in here for cover too. Amber, Zak and I all caught some stripers here a couple years ago. It was worth a try, so I grabbed my heavy fly rod and set up.
The wind is never as strong close to the water/ground, so even though is feel like 30 mph winds at my head level, if I cast sidearm and keep my line low, it cuts under the wind and it’s not impossible to get a line out. Even though there were no fish around, it was good practice to work around the wind and cold. You never know when you may need to make a big cast in those conditions and the experience counts.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment