This year I have had more time than usual to put into hunting. Every season I load up on tags for archery, muzzleloader, regular firearm, and usually a duck stamp too. But most every year things find a way to creep into my schedule and I never get out quite as much as I ought to.
The economy is slow and work has been equally slow, giving me a few more free days in the woods. I have tried to take advantage of these and spend as many hours afield as I can. I have seen many deer, turkeys, porcupines, and hundreds of squirrels. Doesn't anything eat squirrels anymore?
I have been carrying my 1953 Fred Bear recurve bow set up with a Skookum two-arrow stalking quiver from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. I am using Cabela's Stalker Extreme Carbon arrows with 100-grain Magnus broadheads. The arrows are extremely durable and shoot great, I am very pleased with them and would love to get one in a deer soon!
This last week I have been going in the woods very light gear-wise. Walking is too strong a word, stepping is more appropriate for my pace. Moving painfully slow and staying balanced keeps me quiet. Until a squirrel runs into me and sounds the alarm. But that works both ways. I have heard the squirrels bark at deer that I could not see and that sound let me know the deer were there.
To a squirrel, a deer or a hunter are equally huge and alarming I suppose.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment